North Carolina farmers are growing more reliant on foreign labor as they scramble to find workers and provide agricultural products at a competitive rate at a time when Americans are facing spiraling costs at grocery stores.
In a recent article, the below group of experts provide an assessment on the supply of agricultural labor in North Carolina.
- Alejandro Gutierrez-Li, NC State assistant professor and extension specialist
- Jackie Thompson, tobacco grower and owner of J&J Thompson Farms
- Shawn Harding, NC Farm Bureau president
- Lee Wicker, deputy director of the NC Growers Association
- Sandy Stewart, assistant commissioner of agricultural services at the NCDA&CS