What is the layout? Is it zoned properly? Do I have enough? What permits will I need?
Who are they? Are they willing to work with this new venture? Salaries, benefits, etc.?
Are you ready to go into business? Is there room in the market for your establishment? What gives your company an ‘edge’ over the competition? What additional computer equipment and software will I need?
What is your market? Who is your competition? What will you raise?
What type of pond or tank system is best for me and what type of maintenance is involved?
- SRAC 100 Site Selection of Levee-Type Fish Production Ponds
- SRAC 101 Construction of Levee-Type Ponds for Fish Production
- SRAC 102 Watershed Fish Production Ponds: Site Selection and Construction
- SRAC 103 Calculating Area and Volume of Ponds and Tanks
- SRAC 104 Repairing Fish Pond Levees
- SRAC 105 Renovating Leaky Ponds
- Alabama Extension-ANR-1114 Pond Building: A Guide to Planning, Constructing, and Maintaining Recreational Ponds
- SRAC 160 What is Cage Culture?
- SRAC 161 Cage Culture: Site Selection and Water Quality (Revised 1997)
- SRAC 162 Cage Culture: Cage Construction and Placement (Revised 1997)
- SRAC 163 Cage Culture: Species Suitable for Cage Culture
- SRAC 164 Cage Culture: Handling and Feeding Caged Fish
- SRAC 165 Cage Culture: Cage Culture Problems
- SRAC 166 Cage Culture: Harvesting and Economics
- SRAC 170 In-Pond Raceways
- Virginia Tech Extension-Pond Construction: Some Practical Considerations
Tank Circulation Systems
- The Aquaculture Engineering Society
- SRAC 370 Pond Aeration
- SRAC 372 Selecting the Proper Pump
- SRAC 373 Piping Systems
- SRAC 374 Open Channel Flow in Aquaculture
- SRAC 375 Powering Aquaculture Equipment
- SRAC 451 Recirculating Aquaculture Tank Production Systems: An Overview of Critical Considerations
- SRAC 452 Recirculating Aquaculture Tank Production Systems: Management of Recirculating Systems
- SRAC 453 Recirculating Aquaculture Tank Production Systems: A Review of Component Options
- SRAC 454 Recirculating Aquaculture Tank Production Systems: Integrating Fish
- SRAC 455 Pond Recirculating Production Systems
- SRAC 456 The Economics of Recirculating Tank Systems: A Spreadsheet for Individual Analysis
Water Quality Management
- SRAC 460 Control of Clay Turbidity in Ponds
- SRAC 461 Water Quantity and Quality Requirements for Channel Catfish Hatcheries
- SRAC 462 Nitrite in Fish Ponds
- SRAC 463 Ammonia in Fish Ponds
- SRAC 464 Interactions of pH, Carbon Dioxide, Alkalinity and Hardness in Fish Ponds
- SRAC 466 Algae Blooms in Commercial Fish Production Ponds
- SRAC 467 Cost of Alternative Effluent Treatments for Catfish Production
- SRAC 468 Carbon Dioxide in Fish Ponds
- SRAC 469 Fertilization of Fish Fry Ponds
- SRAC 470 Characterization and Management of Effluents from Aquaculture Ponds in the Southeastern United States
- SRAC 471 Fertilization of Fish Ponds
- Alabama Extension-ANR-273 Catfish Farming Is It For You?
- Virginia Tech Extension-Freshwater Fish Farming in Virginia: Selecting the Right Fish to Raise
How to Appropriately Handle and Diagnose Diseases
- Alabama Extension-ANR-1193 Relative Weight: An Easy-to-Measure Index of Fish Condition
- SRAC 472 Submitting a Sample for Fish Kill Investigation
- SRAC 473 Use of Medicated Feed in Food Fish
- SRAC 474 The Role of Stress in Fish Disease
- SRAC 475 Proliferative Gill Disease (Hamburger Gill Disease)
- SRAC 476 Ich (White Spot Disease)
- SRAC 477 ESC – Enteric Septicemia of Catfish
- SRAC 478 Aeromonas Bacterial Infections – Motile Aeromonad Septicemia
- SRAC 479B Columnaris Disease: A Bacterial Infection Caused by Flavobacterium columnare
- Virginia Tech Extension-Pesticides and Aquatic Animals: A Guide to Reducing Impacts on Aquatic Systems
Predation by Natural Predators
- SRAC 400 Avian Predators on Southern Aquaculture
- SRAC 401 Avian Predators: Frightening Techniques for Reducing Bird Damage
- SRAC 402 Control of Bird Predation at Aquaculture Facilities: Strategies and Cost
Harvesting and Processing
Check out the information on the NC State Fish Barn. It includes operations manuals, layouts and more.