Area(s) of Expertise
- Diverse Learners in Agricultural Education
- Assessments in Agricultural Education
- International Agriculture
- Instructional Strategies and Methodology
Dr. Morgan grew up on a small beef cattle and tobacco farm in Oxford, North Carolina. Growing up she was an active 4-H member, and FFA member in high school. One summer in high school, she attended a Phi Delta Kappa future teacher camp held at Indiana University and North Carolina’s Institute for Future Agricultural Leaders camp held at North Carolina State University. It was at these two camps, she officially decided that she wanted to become an agricultural educator. Upon graduation from high school, she attended North Carolina State University where she received her degree in Agricultural Education with a concentration and minor in Animal Science. Directly after undergrad, Joy stayed at North Carolina State University and obtained a Masters degree in Agricultural Education. She returned to her home county and taught both middle and high school agricultural education before returning to pursue her doctorate degree.Today, she teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in the Department of Agricultural and Human Sciences. In addition, she currently serves as the director of the North Carolina Tobacco Trust Fund Commission Agricultural Leadership Development Program.
Joy and her husband, Rob, have two beautiful daughters Westry and Helen Claire.In her free time, Dr. Morgan enjoys traveling, gardening, playing sports, and spending time on the family farm.
- Global Community Academic Advising,Outstanding New Advisor Merit Certificate 2018
- Honorary State FFA Degree, NC FFA Association 2018
- NC State University New Faculty Advisor Award 2018
- Outstanding Journal Article, Career and Technical Education Research 2017
- Featured Article Highlighting Teaching-CALS Is HERE Magazine 2017
- NACTA Teaching Award of Merit 2016
- Dr. John G. Richardson International Study Experience Award 2016
- Featured Article Highlighting Teaching-CALS Perspectives Magazine 2015
- North Carolina State University Agronomy Club Outstanding Alumni 2014
- Managing Editor, Career and Technical Education Journal 2014-2017
Primary Teaching Responsibilities
- AEE 103 – Fundamentals of Agricultural and Extension Education
- AEE 326 – Teaching Diverse Learners in Agricultural Education
- AEE 327 – Conducting Summer Programs in Agricultural Education
- AEE 427 – Supervision of Student Teachers
- AEE 735 – Effective Teaching in Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Morgan, J., Park, T., & Bullock, J. (2020, April). Argentinian Agricultural Teachers Experience North Carolina Agricultural Education Programs. Paper accepted for presentation at 2020 AIAEE Conference, St. Petersburg, FL.
- Radford, D., Morgan, J., & Kirby, B. M. (2020, February). Home demonstration work in North Carolina: Leading the way for rural women. Paper accepted for presentation at the 2020 American Association for Agricultural Education Southern Region Annual Conference, Louisville, KY.
- Morgan, J. & Bullock, J. (2019, June). Audience Engagement Techniques Utilized by Agricultural Course Instructors. Presentation at North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture (NACTA), Twin Falls, Idaho.
- Radford, D., & Morgan, J. (April, 2019). Perceptions of leadership development and cultural awareness prior to an international study experience by agricultural leadership program participants. Paper accepted for presentation at the Association for International Agricultural and Extension Education Annual Conference, Port-of-Spain, Trinidad and Tobago.
- Bruce, J. A., McKee, K., Morgan-Fleming, J. E., & Warner, W. J. (2019). The Oaks Scholars: Transformative leadership in action. International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, 31(3).
- Morgan, J., Wilson, E., Flowers, J., Jayaratne, J. & Smith, J. (2018). Are North Carolina agriculture teachers teaching to the test? The impact of test item banks in North Carolina agriculture programs. Journal of Human Sciences and Extension.
- Bruce, J., Morgan, J., Warner, W., & McKee, K. (2017, May). The certificate of social justice program. Innovative practice paper presented at Association of Leadership Educators Conference. Charleston, SC.
- Morgan, J. (2016). Creating inclusive environments through service-learning. Presentation at the International Leadership Association Global Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Morgan, J. (2016). Embracing servant leadership through service-learning. Presentation at the International Leadership Association Global Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Morgan, J., Warner, W., & Park, T. (2016). Diversifying enrollments in colleges of agriculture: Examining the motivations of Latino students to pursue agricultural degrees. Paper presented at the Association for International Agricultural and Extension Education, Portland, OR.
- Lunsford, A., Warner, W. J., Park, T. D., & Morgan, J. (2016). Agricultural education teacher candidates’ perceptions of the edTPA.. Career and Technical Education Research. Outstanding Journal Article.
- Morgan, J. (2016). Service-learning: Friends make it real. Agricultural Education Magazine.
- Morgan, J. (2015). Stepping outside of comfort zones through service learning. Workshop Presentation at North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture Research Conference, Athens, GA.
Ed.D., Agricultural and Extension Education, North Carolina State University (2014)
M.A., Agricultural Education, North Carolina State University (2006)
B.S., Agricultural Education, Minor in Animal Science, North Carolina State University (2005)