The graduate certificate in Agricultural and Extension Education is a 15 credit hour program. To apply for the certificate, just complete the graduate school application.
Why a Graduate Certificate?
Pursuing a graduate certificate requires a high-level of commitment. The AEE certificate program is particularly appropriate for individuals who:
- Want advanced training in agricultural and extension education but don’t plan to pursue a master’s degree
- Have a master’s degree in another discipline but would like to gain expertise in agricultural and extension education
- Are earning a teacher certification in agriculture and desire additional credentials
- Work as Extension agents and taking courses for the required professional development hours
The specific courses required will depend on the student’s professional goals and his or her academic background. All certificate students are assigned an advisor who will work with them to select courses.
AG*IDEA Courses and Tuition Waivers
Students who successfully complete the Graduate Certificate in Agricultural and Extension Education will be able to:
- Describe the organization, structure, goals, and practice of agricultural/extension education
- Articulate a philosophy of agricultural/extension education
- Plan an educational program or instructional unit that meets the needs of learners
- Deliver instruction effectively
- Effectively use technology to deliver instruction and information to learners
Students are required to prepare a professional portfolio of artifacts and evidence of the above objectives.
How to Apply
Students not enrolled at NC State
Complete the graduate school application. On the application, choose “Graduate Certificate” and “Agricultural and Extension Education.” The GRE is not required for the graduate certificate.
Some students enroll in the graduate certificate program as a trial run toward a master’s degree. Only 12 hours can be counted toward a master’s degree. If this is the path you’re planning, we recommend applying to a master’s program prior to completing the graduate certificate program to avoid losing hours. You will need to complete a new graduate school application.