Apply to AEE Graduate Programs

Admission Requirements

Review the graduate school application process at the NC State Graduate School website. Our requirements are consistent with that of the Graduate School:

  • Minimum 3.0 undergraduate GPA / Minimum 3.5 graduate GPA for doctoral students
  • Three letters of recommendation
  • Personal statement
    • Prospective graduate students will draft a statement of purpose for graduate work. If the student intends to complete a thesis or dissertation, the statement should also indicate the nature of potential research work, including possible topics or questions, and minimally two professors from the Agricultural and Human Sciences department whose research areas potentially align with those possible research topics. Prospective students should plan to meet with faculty prior to submitting their applications to discuss the research with those professors and include those ideas in the statement.
  • Relevant experience – for doctoral applicants
    • 1 year required experience, 3 years recommended
      • Relevant experience in extension, teaching, industry, leadership, or other closely related field
  • Application Fee
  • Transcripts of all previous collegiate work

Application Deadlines and Review Process

Applications and all supporting documents must be received on or before the priority deadlines. Note that applications must be submitted to the Graduate School by midnight Eastern Standard Time on the deadline.

  • Fall Semester: February 1 for assistantship consideration, March 1 for international students, June 15 for domestic students
  • Spring Semester: November 1

Students apply to the AEE graduate program online through the Graduate School. 

Graduate School Application

Review Process

Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis until the stated deadlines.

Doctoral applications will be reviewed once per month by faculty for admission to the following semester. Application reviews will end once the deadline has passed.

Departmental Assistantships

A limited number of departmental research and/or teaching assistantships are available on a competitive basis. Applications for open positions are due by February 1 for the following academic year. Other financial aid is available from the Office of Financial Aid and on a competitive basis from the Graduate School.

2022-2023 Available Assistantships

Continuing Education (Non-Degree Studies)

Students can take up to 12 hours as a Non-Degree Studies (NDS) student in the Non-Degree Studies program and have the courses count toward a master’s degree.  


  • Students must earn a B or higher in NDS courses to be eligible for transfer into the master’s or certificate program
  • All the courses must be letter graded, no courses that are graded S or U are eligible for transfer
  • Courses must be at the 500 level or above
  • A maximum of 12 hours can be transferred into a master’s degree program; A maximum of 6 hours can be transferred into a certificate program


  • You can “test drive” the master’s program to make sure it is right for you.
  • If your undergraduate GPA is low, you can take courses to show that you are capable of handling graduate work. This will improve your chance of getting accepted into the graduate program.
  • There are no “months in advance” application deadlines. You can apply a few days before classes start.


  • Students have six years to complete the master’s degree. The six-year clock starts with the first course the student wants to count toward the degree. Make sure to plan your studies to account for this time frame because taking NDS courses can have a major impact on the length of time to complete the graduate program.
  • Students have four years to complete the certificate program. The four-year clock starts with the first course the student wants to count toward the certificate. Make sure to plan your studies to account for this time frame because taking NDS courses can have an impact on the length of time to complete the certificate.
  • Students are not assigned an advisor while enrolled in courses in the NDS program.
  • We do not have full access to continuing education students’ records. Students must register through the Department of Registration and Records to register for continuing education courses each semester.
Apply to Non-Degree Studies


If you have additional questions about applying to the graduate program, please contact Dr. Joseph Donaldson at