Theodore E. (Ted) Bilderback - Curriculum Vitae
|Kansas State University||1976||PhD||Hort. Science|
|Emporia State University||1973||MS||Botany/Plt.Tax.|
|Emporia State University||1970||BSE||Biological Sci.|
Academic and Professional Appointments:
|Professor Ext Specialist||NCSU||1/1/99-1/1/2003|
|Professor Ext. Specialist||NCSU||7/1/92 -6/30/97|
|Associate Professor Ext Specialist||NCSU||7/1/87 - 6/30/92|
|Associate Professor Teaching/Research||NCSU||7/1/82 - 6/30/87|
|Assistant Professor Teaching/Research||NCSU||1/1/77 - 6/30/82|
Areas of Specialization-Extension
Nursery crops extension specialist, program emphasis on cultural nursery practices; water quality and conservation, nursery crop nutrition, utilization of stabilized solid wastes, growth modification through skilled pruning practices.
Present Appointment: Academic 28%, 42% Extension, 30% Research,
Present Program Empahsis Research
- Investigate nursery management practices that increase growth and nutrient use efficiency.
- Investigate nursery container irrigation practices that improve irrigation efficiency, reduce nutrient leaching, minimize runoff and improve plant growth
- Investigate economically available alternative container substrates components, by evaluating physical air and water characteristics, chemical analytical properties and effects on crop growth, photosynthesis, root zone temperature, water retention and nutrient utilization.
- Investigate cultural practices leading to cost savings & increased profitability in nursery crops.
- Chairman of the Ornamental Working Group (1998 to 2005); coordinate activities including organization of NCSU Nursery Short Course and Twilight Field Day
- Organize and participate in horticulture agent training workshops
- Cooperate with agents on applied studies at their professional nursery clientele locations
- Serve as departmental liaison/educational advisor to the NCAN/NCNLA (1999-2007)
- Organize NCNLA workshops and nursery tours
- Taught HS 471 Tree and Ground Maintenance lectures and labs spring semesters 1977-1987;
- Taught HS051 Nursery Production Fall 1977-1987; & HS051/HS411, Fall 1997 & 1998
- Taught HS 590N Environmental Nursery Production Practices, Fall 2003, 2005
- Undergraduate students advised: (Career) BS 1977-1987 (147)
- Graduate Student Adviser: Total: (20); Master of Hort (7); MS (5); PhD (8)
- Graduate Student Committee’s: Total (20); Grad. School Rep.: (3)
- Chairman of Horticulture Field Lab Space Assignment committee; 1996-2006
|Publications: (Total Career 472)||2001-2005:||Career|
|Research Reports and Proceedings||16||95|
|Book Chapters and Manuals||7||20|
|Other : Peer Reviewed Extension Publications||5||23|
|Popular Press Articles||66||219|
|Graduate Reports and Thesis publications||22
8 Ph.D; 6 MS; 8 MA: MH
Awards and Honors (Career):
Sou. Reg. ASHS Blue Ribbon Pub -Preparing Nursery Plants for Winter,1992; AAN Ext Award 1993; ASHS Ext. Pub : A Small Backyard Greenhouse for the Home Gardener and Budding & Grafting Nursery Crop Plants (1994); Ext Education.Program Award: Environmentally Compatible Nursery Production Practices, 1995; SNA Porter Henegar Award, 1995; Epsilon Sigma Pi Extension Professional Mid-Career Award,1995; ASHS Ext. Div. Edu. Materials Award “Best Management Practices for Field Production of Nursery Stock,1997; ASHS Disting. Achievement for Nursery Crops,1997; S R ASHS Blue Ribbon Pub "Water Considerations for Container Production of Plants"; N. C. Coop. Ext. Serv. “Outstanding Extension Service,1999;SNA Environmental Leadership, 1999; Emporia State University, Distinguished Alumni ,1999; Charter member NCSU Academy of Outstanding Faculty Engaged in Extension 2000.