skip to content
Blake Bowen Alumni Profile
Please describe your current job position:
I am a Research Specialist in Cotton Breeding at North Carolina State University. My job is probably 60% field work when you account planting, crossing, data collection, and harvesting. The remaining 40% of my time is spent in the lab doing genetic research, markers, DNA extractions, PCR, and processing field material and preparing for the following year.
What is the most interesting thing about your job?
The amount of people I get to work with and diversity of a single breeding program
How well did the Department of Horticultural Science at NCSU prepare you for your current position?
Very well. My training has enabled me to jump right into a program that needed leadership and experience in areas that I could provide.
What made the Department of Horticultural Science at NCSU unique?
The people. All are very helpful, friendly, and enjoy working together to give fresh perspective and aid when asked.
What would you say are the strengths of the Department of Horticultural Science at NCSU?
Its personnel and research. These work hand in hand in order for good work to come out.
If you received degrees from other departments/universities, how did the experiences differ from the one you had in the Department of Horticultural Science at NCSU?
Horticulture was a much more close knit department than when I was in Biology.